What version of Xcode for High Sierra?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Sep 24 23:18:56 UTC 2021

MacBook Pro, 13", mid-2010, 8GB memory (self-supplied, as the default 4GB
is simply not enough), firmware 7,1.

Relevance to MacPorts: it needs Xcode...

There seems to be many versions of Xcode for High Sierra (I don't want to
upgrade further just yet) so which one is known to work for this thing so
that I can start using MacPorts again??  I don't want to waste a few hours
of download (including Command Line Tools) only to see "xcode-select" spit
the dummy because it's the wrong version of the OS or something.

Thanks.

-- Dave