During Migration to Arm64 mac, should I null out archs='x86_64' from installed ports list?

Peter Serocka peserocka at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 11:54:29 UTC 2022

> On Apr 14, 2022, at 13:08, chilli.namesake at gmail.com wrote:
>

> I don't get it. What is stopping MacPorts users that don't use custom prefixes from using network drives? A custom prefix and hierarchy will not isolate anything.  A package manager isn't much of a package manager if it leaves you in dependency hell... MacPorts solved this already just by being a package manager. Port activation/deactivation is not a bug, it's a feature, and really not much of  headache. Upgrading macOS will not do anything to /opt. An architecture change means another, separate distinct system, which will need it's own OS and MacPorts install.
>
> I'm not seeing the fatal problems your solution of custom prefixes hopes to solve.

No fatal problems to overcome, just benefits I have been appreciating.

Network drives were automounted to a different place than /opt; and /opt/local -- being a quite generic name by itself -- was already taken by other stuff in that specific corporate environment :(

"Isolating" in the sense of keeping e.g. qt-related or rust-related stuff in different trees,
to adopt different update cycles.

Again I find side-by-side installations of alternatives are easier to handle than activations, but of cause your miles may vary. Nothing wrong with that.

> Upgrading macOS will not do anything to /opt

Well under /opt/local, installed ports usually keep working, but the port command will refuse to run even simple queries and you have to start all over. With a new prefix tree transitions cam be performed gradually; and you keep a fall-back in place. I just happen to like that -- so why not discussing it in the light of possible binary distributions when that suggestion was made? I understand my proposal doesn't resonate too well with you; anyway, thanks a heap for your efforts!