During Migration to Arm64 mac, should I null out archs='x86_64' from installed ports list?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 14 21:10:26 UTC 2022

On Apr 14, 2022, at 14:34, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2022, at 2:56 PM, Peter Serocka wrote:
>
>> Error: Current platform "darwin 19" does not match expected platform "darwin 18"
>> Error: If you upgraded your OS, please follow the migration instructions: https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>> OS platform mismatch
>>   while executing
>> "mportinit ui_options global_options global_variations"
>> Error: /opt/macports18/bin/port: Failed to initialize MacPorts, OS platform mismatch
>>
>> Which prevents further upgrades or installs in the existing tree.
>
> ... until you follow the instructions.
>
> Once you do step 2, the port command works again (and you should follow the rest of the instructions, but if you're prepared to live with the consequences of things maybe breaking because you didn't follow good advice, even things like 'port install' and 'port upgrade outdated' mostly work at that point).

Exactly. This is how I do MacPorts upgrades after an OS upgrade; I don't follow the migration instructions. I like the benefit of being able to upgrade a few ports at a time without affecting other ports, and keeping older ports installed that can no longer be built on the current OS, and I'm prepared to investigate and work around the issues that arise.