macOS 12.3 and /usr/bin/python. Status?

Gerben Wierda gerben.wierda at rna.nl
Sun Apr 17 16:19:52 UTC 2022

> On 17 Apr 2022, at 16:47, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>

> On Apr 17, 2022, at 09:45, Christian Calderon wrote:
>
>>> You would not be able to make a symbolic link at /usr/bin/python because /usr/bin is a protected directory.
>>
>> TIL. Is that something I could work around by disabling SIP?
>
> On macOS 10.x, yes. On macOS 11 and later, my understanding is that the system volume is cryptographically sealed and there is no way for you to modify it without breaking that seal, which presumably has undesirable consequences.
>
> https://eclecticlight.co/2020/11/30/is-big-surs-system-volume-sealed/

Yes, I can support that conclusion. Creating that link (or changing anything that is in that cryptographically signed part of the file system) is no longer a viable option on macOS Big Sur and up.

Gerben Wierda (LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/gerbenwierda>)
R&A IT Strategy <https://ea.rna.nl/> (main site)
Book: Chess and the Art of Enterprise Architecture <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book/>
Book: Mastering ArchiMate <https://ea.rna.nl/the-book-edition-iii/>