2.7.1 -> 2.7.2 OK

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 18 03:04:48 UTC 2022

On Apr 17, 2022, at 20:15, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> [ Late reply; sorry ]
>
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2022, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>>> I'm quite taken by the progress bar on "cmake"; it keeps changing its
>>> mind, just like a MacOS upgrade does :-)
>>
>> The most common way that you might see a port build progress bar not
>> behave correctly is if you are using the universal variant and the port
>> uses the muniversal portgroup. In that case, you'll see the progress for
>> building one architecture, and then the progress bar will reset and show
>> you the progress of building the next architecture, etc. Other than that
>> it should be pretty accurate, provided that the port's build system
>> provides accurate progress information.
>
> How do I globally turn off the +variant?  I never touch the macports.conf
> file except under advice, and I'm unlikely to get another architecture.
>
> Box here is High Sierra 10.13.6 on MacBookPro7,1 firmware, Intel Core 2
> Duo, MacPorts 2.7.2.
>
> Thanks.

The universal variant isn't on by default so ports won't use it unless you request it, like:

sudo port install zlib +universal

or you install a port that requires it for itself or some of its dependencies, like:

sudo port install wine

If you want to change the default variants of ports globally, you can edit variants.conf. For example, if you wanted to make sure that ports that have a python310 variant enable that variant even if the port would otherwise enable a different python variant (or no python variant) by default, you could add "+python310" to variants.conf. If you wanted to make sure that ports that offer a docs variant don't enable it by default, you could add "-docs" to variants.conf.