macOS 12.3 and /usr/bin/python. Status?

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 12:06:50 UTC 2022

I’m on 12.3.1 with all those ports and there’s no issue. I’ve contributed directly to several of these and have always made sure that everything uses the MacPorts Python dependencies, both in depends_build and depends_lib/run.

Additionally, to the best of my knowledge, there’s nothing in the macOS upgrade path that is expected to break any of this, so for major upgrades, I always just test the upgrade on a non-critical box, then make sure I have a viable backup, do the update, and in rare instances make a minor fix for unanticipated minor issues, or issue an upstream ticket.

The only issue I’ve seen with the disappearance of macOS native Python is some minor thing my own preliminary calendar-contacts-server configuration—the “fix” in response to the update was just to install the MacPorts version.