Somewhat off topic - keeping older Macs running

Uli Wienands wienands at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 00:18:40 UTC 2022

As someone who is running mostly older hardware/software I have to chime
in here.

You do want to run behind a firewall, no question. I only have
experience with AT&T, but their routers have a firewall built-in and it
can often be tailored to your needs. For many years I ran with all ports
closed and no reaction to incoming pings. I also have the Mac's firewall
active (not sure how much that actually helps). This does not interfere
with web surfing, email, ssh and all the other good stuff as long as you
initiate it from your Mac.

MacPorts has a number of updated clients for stuff you want (shells, ssl
and what-not) so you can at least plug the most egregious holes.

The big risk IMO is social engineering, i.e. falling for a phishing
attach or clicking on a bad link or things like that. I use things like
uMatrix and its black lists, and if a link gets caught by it I will not
go there, period. My wife and I have discussed the do's and don'ts of
email and web surfing (my being her IT support), and as a result she has
on several occasions asked me about some things she observed (pop-ups or
emails) before acting on them.

If you need to get into your Mac from the outside there are other things
to consider, but most people don't need that.

There is no guarantee that nothing bad will ever happen to us; but then,
each time we get into the car we are putting ourselves at risk,
statistically speaking. One needs to be alert & watch what one is doing.

My $0.02,

Uli