What happens when a port fails to compile (+universal) and there is no maintainer?

Sriranga Veeraraghavan sriranga at berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 23 02:43:52 UTC 2022

I tried to build jemalloc without +universal on my M1 Mac on Big Sur and did not encounter any errors.  When I tried to build it with +universal, I saw the same error as in the log file attached to the trac case.

The clang messages suggest that an express cast will solve the compile problem:

include/jemalloc/internal/rtree.h:118:3: error: constant expression evaluates to -12 which cannot be narrowed to type 'unsigned int' [-Wc++11-narrowing]
        {RTREE_NSB, RTREE_NHIB + RTREE_NSB}
         ^~~~~~~~~
include/jemalloc/internal/rtree.h:22:19: note: expanded from macro 'RTREE_NSB'
#define RTREE_NSB (LG_VADDR - RTREE_NLIB)
include/jemalloc/internal/rtree.h:118:3: note: insert an explicit cast to silence this issue
        {RTREE_NSB, RTREE_NHIB + RTREE_NSB}
         ^~~~~~~~~
         static_cast<unsigned int>( )

However, given the nature of the error (converting a negative int to a unsigned int), while a cast might get the code to compile, there is probably an underlying problem that needs to be fixed for this code to actually work properly.