a2ps fails to install (compressed log attached)

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Dec 19 21:28:31 UTC 2022

On 2022-12-19 at 15:03:35 UTC-0500 (Mon, 19 Dec 2022 12:03:35 -0800)
Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott at gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hi;
>
>   a2ps fails to install (compressed log attached).
>
> one item I noticed (several instances:
> :info:destroot /bin/sh: /usr/bin/makeinfo: No such file or directory
>
> Does this mean that there is a missing dependency?

It looks like it's saying that the version of 'makeinfo' that has
historically been included in macOS is not present.

That seems like something Apple might have done in a recent version, as
they have been removing GNU tools pretty aggressively. It was still
there in Catalina (which is as far as I've ventured...)

If it really is gone, you can get a version by installing the 'texinfo'
port, but it won't be at that path and it won't be whatever version
Apple last had in the base system. However, it might be noticed and used
by the a2ps configure stage and if so, should work. I expect that the
proper solution will be to add texinfo as a dependency.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire