C API for ACLs

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Feb 6 04:01:50 UTC 2022

Use the source, Luke.

How "ls" does it:

https://github.com/apple-oss-distributions/file_cmds/tree/file_cmds-321.100.11/ls

Looks like the presence of an ACL and getting a handle for it is done in ls.c, and actually retrieving and printing all the entries (ls.c retrieves the 1st entry just to make sure it's really there) is done in print.c.

I gather that getattrlist(2) and setattrlist(2) are what, for the filesystems that support those calls (not all do!) underlie the various section 3 acl*() routines, but if in doubt, you could even look at the source for those library routines. But beware: acl(3) says:
     The syscalls between the internal interfaces and the public library routines may change over time, and as such are not documented.  They are not intended to be called directly without going through the library.

eMail:				mailto:rlhamil at smart.net