MacPorts XCode Installation

Haren Samarasinghe harens at macports.org
Sat Feb 26 18:04:37 UTC 2022

After reading the installation guide [1], quite a few people that I've
introduced MacPorts to have thought that a full XCode installation is
required. They're uncertain of doing this due to the large amount of
space it requires.

In reality, I'd say that the majority of ports only require the command
line tools. In the scenarios where XCode is required for a port, the
user is normally alerted to this.

I was planning on changing the docs [1][2] to show that XCode isn't
required, but I wanted to first check whether this would be an
acceptable change.

Thanks,
Haren

[1]: https://www.macports.org/install.php