certificate update for old Macs

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Tue Jan 4 20:27:40 UTC 2022

Am 04.01.22 um 21:11 schrieb Richard L. Hamilton:
> Everyone just says "As long as the roots are good you can trust the
> chain", and that's never made sense to me. The whole "trust what
> strangers say" system seems more like "Find a way for companies to
> make money" than any good security system.

Certificates are similar to passports – if you look at a person’s
passport you must decide if you trust the issuer. If it’s a known
country and the passport is valid (and looks legit as far as you can
guess), you will trust it. If it’s from a country you never heard of,
you might doubt its validity. If it’s from a separatist organization you
find trustworthy, you might trust it anyway (similar to the CAcert case).

Hraban