Mojave and Macports

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 04:42:42 UTC 2022

On 1/13/22 5:01 PM, Bill Cole wrote:
> On 2022-01-13 at 16:26:01 UTC-0500 (Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:26:01 -0600)
> Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com>
> is rumored to have said:
> [...]
>>
>> My question for y'all goes like this - How long will macports
>> continue to "work" on Mojave?
>
> No one can actually give a fixed date for that which you could
> reasonably rely upon.
>
> MacPorts still has support for Tiger. That's 10 releases older than
> Mojave. It is unlikely that the aggregate 'vision' of the people doing
> the work of keeping MP going will change so much as to drop Mojave
> before it is simply impossible to continue to support it. If I recall
> correctly, dropping Panther only happened because the last
> Panther-capable machine available to the project died. Speaking only
> as a long-time user and observer of MacPorts, I would be surprised if
> Mojave support went away in this decade.
>
> With that said, "support" in MacPorts' core is not the only thing to
> be concerned with. One thing I found running Snow Leopard until last
> February on a 32bit-only CoreDuo was that support in ports I was using
> or tried to use was slowly crumbling over time, often beyond anything
> MacPorts could work around. The biggest headaches weren't even rooted
> in hardware or OS version per se, but in the toolchain
> (gcc/clang/etc.) and runtime (libgcc/libcxx/etc.) evolution.
> Re-bootstrapping my whole MacPorts world never became impossible, but
> by the end it was a multi-day festivity involving building multiple
> toolchains and learning obscure command-line options for port. It may
> never become impossible for to keep using MacPorts on Mojave, but it
> may end up taking so much babysitting that you'd rather not. I hope
> that's a long time, because my personal machines are staying there for
> some time as well.

Thanks for the response. I thought it was something along these lines,
but its reassuring to hear.

My Snow Leopard host, an old iMac, died before the lack of support got
too bad. My laptop will hopefully hold out a while longer. It's kinda
funny, but for a 10 year old machine, it' still quite respectable and is
actually more capable than my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 which can't even do
virtual box.