Sms for text messages in macports

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Mon Jan 17 07:04:32 UTC 2022

Every cell phone provider, or at least just about every US cell phone provider, has an email to SMS gateway. It's free for someone sending email to it, not necessarily for the recipient. The problem is you have to know the provider for a given number, and AFAIK, there's no particularly easy way to do that automatically and scriptably (so you can generate an email address for the correct gateway). MMS gateways also exist, although the acceptable MIME types and size/complexity limits for attachments may be tedious to discover.

Alternatives: a service (some free for small volumes only) that can send SMS from a computer.  Or Asterisk plus extensions, to set yourself up a full VoIP PBX...except that will need some paid service too, to connect to. But it will do a lot more than just send (or receive) SMS, it could forward phone calls, with proper hardware interfaces drive either old fashioned or VoiP phones, etc. It looks like a lot of work and learning as well as expense, though, and really ought to have a dedicated server, too, although that's not absolutely necessary.