What have I forgotten about specifying which Perl should be /opt/local/bin/perl?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 22 16:13:06 UTC 2022

On Jan 22, 2022, at 09:36, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> I have no idea of the difficulty of such a change, but it would be interesting if Portfiles contained a release date, and the database of installed ports had both a copy of that for any given installed version, and perhaps the date of installation.

The registry stores installation dates.

$ port -v installed zlib
  zlib @1.2.11_0 (active) requested_variants='' platform='darwin 19' archs='x86_64' date='2021-11-12T12:14:43-0600'

Release date information is not available in MacPorts. Are you proposing that the maintainer of every port should do research to discover the release date every time they want to update a port to a new version and add that information to a new field in the portfile? Why?

Or are you referring to the date when an update of a portfile was committed to GitHub? If so, why would that be useful to you?