openat on 10.6.8?

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Sun Jan 30 20:30:02 UTC 2022

> Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2022 at 2:59 AM
> From: raf
>
> I just tried to compile (/usr/bin/cc) something (not a
> port) that uses openat(2) on 10.6.8 (with current
> macports and Xcode 3.2.6 (1761)) but it wasn't there. I
> expected it to be, because openat() was standardized by
> 2008 and the 10.6.8 system is from 2010. Did I compile
> it wrong (e.g., old default compiler), or did openat()
> just not appear until a later version of macOS?

Note that MacPorts legacy support provides an implementation of openat() for 10.9 and earlier. Using it from a port is usually easy: see bfs for an example. Using it outside of MacPorts should still be possible, but could require digging in https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/master/_resources/port1.0/group/legacysupport-1.1.tcl for the needed include header and linker flags.

Christopher A. Chavez