Beginner's problems with old hardware

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:39:14 UTC 2022

On 14/07/2022 15:36, Eckard Brauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just subscribed to the list, and just reactivated an old Powerbook G4,
> only beacuse I noticed that Macports is around (usually I'm a Gentoo
> Linux user with only few *BSD background, so don't mind me stupid
> questions).
>
> Installing Ports on Sorbet Leopard went fine, but as everything (except
> App packages) is installed in /var/local, how is it possible to provide
> some of the system packages with fresh frameworks, most important, SSL?
> I'd need that for Mail (even TenFourBird doesn't work) and a working
> browser...
>
> Is there a good guideline on how to get all that running? Its somehow
> complicated to start. If there's any help, hint or howto, please notify
> me.
>
> Thanks in advabce && best regards
> Hangglider

I don't know if there's much of a way. I also got into this with a G5
and any solution will not really be straightforward or 'clean' to Mac OS X.

For Mail.app I don't think there's really a way to fix its SSL issues.
If you patch any files in OS X you run the risk of breaking a lot of
things. But if you are adventurous I'd like to know what things you end
up trying.

Since you use Gentoo, I also ran Gentoo on my G5 and it works pretty
well. But there are serious limitations to doing anything graphical.
Xfce is the closest it came to being a decent experience (although in
part I blame Nouveau).

Andrew