Beginner's problems with old hardware

Hangglider hangglider at gmx.de
Fri Jul 15 14:10:29 UTC 2022

On 15.07.22 02:25, Andrew Udvare wrote:
> On 14/07/2022 19:04, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I'm not sure if we have any good GUI mail clients or web browsers in
>> MacPorts. These are typically large projects which have been
>> difficult to build. We used to have thunderbird and firefox ports but
>> they were removed because they were out of date and we were not able
>> to update them. Tickets have been filed requesting that they be
>> re-added but to my knowledge no work has been done about that:
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/63175
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/63174
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/63219
>
> Now the issue is much worse because Rust PowerPC/64 on OS X is likely
> non-existent.
Hello && thanks for responding.

In the meantime 2 of my problems are slightly solved at once: After some
more checking things I found out that the institute I'm working for is
blocking all outgoing traffic except HTTP(S) and SSH (and probably few
more) for the main networks and unknown MAC addresses. So I had
connection first, as I used a self-made, but slow tunnel and nevermore
after that. But there's a more "insider's" trick, and after knowing now
I have both thunderbird (TenFourBird) running and MacPorts syncing again.

Somehow I managed to kill my system's tar with installing some packages.
No idea where this happened, but I've got continuous "symbol not found"
or the like from dyld with libiconv, so I decided to download, compile
and install latest GNU tar in /opt/local. That's been 100 % successful,
so I'm expecting for less problems for the future.

Thanks again for help,
Hangglider