Should I expect a +quartz variant to propagate to dependencies, and overrule existing variants?

Jim DeLaHunt list+macports-users at jdlh.com
Wed Jun 1 22:31:53 UTC 2022

Should I expect a +quartz variant to propagate to dependencies, and
overrule existing variants?

I just tried to `install gimp +quartz`. This failed several times, each
time with errors about some recursive dependency of gimp requiring its
own dependency to be installed with a +quartz variant, but the port was
already installed without the +quartz variant` commands explicitly.

The specific ports in question are:

gimp +quartz,
   which depends on gimp-lqr-plugin,
     which depends on gimp2 +quartz — but it was installed without that
variant,
       which depends on gtk-osx-application-gtk2,
       and depends on gtk2 +quartz — but it was installed without that
variant,
       and depends on py27-pygtk +quartz — but it was installed without
that variant,
         which depends on libglade2,
           which also depends on gtk2 +quartz

So concretely, install gimp +quartz failed because gimp2 was installed
without +quartz.
A manual install gimp2 +quartz failed because gtk2 was installed without
+quartz.
A manual install gtk2 +quartz succeeded, but led to 5 broken ports.
Rebuilding those broken ports failed at py27-pygtk because an
in-progress build of gimp2 had conflicting variants "+python27" vs
"+python27+quartz".
A clean of gimp2, followed by a second manual install gimp2 +quartz
succeeded, but led to 4 broken ports. Rebuilding those broken ports
failed at py27-pygtk because gtk2 was installed *with* +quartz
(actually, without the conflicting variant +x11).
An uninstall py27-pygtk (despite gimp2 depending on it), followed by a
clean py27-pygtk, succeeded.
A manual install py27-pygtk +quartz succeeded, but led to 2 broken
ports. Rebuilding those broken ports succeeded.

Thus I succeeded in fumbling my way through installing gimp +quartz
despite dependencies already present with the wrong variants, but it was
a bit messy and confusing. Should I expect MacPorts to do a better job
with this situation?  If so, maybe I should file a ticket against some
of these ports, to see if portfile changes would avoid the problems.

Thank you for your advice!
     —Jim DeLaHunt

--
.    --Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada