MacPorts bind9 dig not working correctly

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Jun 26 06:06:50 UTC 2022

Looking at both with Wireshark, it looks like both send the query (and the Ethernet packet in both cases appears to be multicast, as it should be) and get the response. But it seems the MacPorts one doesn’t “hear” the response.

Looking at dtruss output for both, it looks like the Apple version issues some recvmsg() system calls (presumably thus receiving the response), but the MacPorts version never does. Without looking at the source, I couldn’t say why it never gets there; and even looking at it, I might not, given that I’m not familiar with the bind9 code, and it looks like it might be a bit hard to follow.