Hybrid CDs on Big Sur

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 04:40:29 UTC 2022

> On 2022-03-08, at 18:49, Sriranga Veeraraghavan <sriranga at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have some older CDs that appear to be master with a Mac (HFS/HFS+) partition and a Windows (FAT32?) partition.
>
> Under BigSur (on M1), Finder and DiskUtility only seem to want to mount the Mac partition on these CDs and don’t seem to provide a way to access the Windows partition.
>
> I’ve been able to access the Windows partition by running on Linux running under an emulator, but this is somewhat clunky.
>
> Does anyone know of a way (perhaps through a port in macports) to mount the Windows partition on a hybrid CD?
>
> TIA,
>
> -ranga

You should be able to use /sbin/mount_cd9660 to mount the area seen by Windows (ISO9660 with Joliet).

mkdir mount-point
sudo /sbin/mount_cd9660 -r /dev/... mount-point

To make an image:

dd if=/dev/... of=x.raw conv=notrunc bs=2048

Also try installing cdrtools and using the 'readcd dev=/dev/... -clone f=x.raw' command.

Both of these may result in a proper image that has the ISO9660 filesystem and the HFS. You should be able to mount the ISO9660 file system with the image with /sbin/mount_cd9660 just the same.