port diagnose and xcode

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 11 09:24:27 UTC 2022

On 11/03/2022 8:02 am, Michele Venturi wrote:
> What is wrong is that a simple package manager
> requires an entire multigigabyte professional IDE;
> I have even taken the time to talk to them about it
> and file a bug about it,but they clearly don't care...
> It's surely not a new issue,it's like that by design...

MacPorts is not (just) 'a simple package manager'. Yes, it performs this
function, but first and foremost (and long before we even had binary
tarballs to distribute as a 'package mnager') it is a system for
building packages and their dependencies. To build something you require
a compiler. Many ports will build fine with just the Apple CLT package,
but some indeed require the full Xcode installation in order to be built
(and Xcode also is not just an IDE, but is also a command line build
system).

So yes, if you want to put it in those terms requiring Xcode/CLT is 'by
design'.