Python

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Mar 18 04:57:15 UTC 2022

On Mar 17, 2022, at 21:37, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 2022-03-17 at 17:22:51 UTC-0400 (Thu, 17 Mar 2022 22:22:51 +0100) Tom is rumored to have said:
>
>> Hello people, how do I install a python replacement for macOS 12.3?
>
> port install python310 python_select

python_select is a dependency of python310 so you don't need to request it separately. Same goes for all other _select ports.

> [come back in 20 minutes]

It should only take that long if you need to compile it and you have a relatively slow computer. Most users wouldn't need to compile it and would instead receive a binary from our server within seconds.

> port select python python310
>
> If you need an older version, there are ports for them. Unlike Ryan, I urge you to NOT install a 2.x version unless you are absolutely sure that you need such an antique, unsupported, encoding-impaired tool.

Sure. But Tom specifically asked for a Python replacement for macOS 12.3. What happened in macOS 12.3 is that Apple removed /usr/bin/python which was Python 2.7 so I assumed that's what Tom was asking about. If Tom wants to use Python 3, I assume macOS still provides a version of that in /usr/bin/python3. Or he can install any of the python3x ports as you mentioned.