libgcc, libgcc-devel mixup - recover how?

Peter Brommer p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Tue Mar 29 14:00:16 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I somehow managed to shoot myself in the foot with an ill considered forced deactivate. A port upgrade outdated command would abort when it tried to install libgcc-devel. This must have been a new dependency of one of my installed ports (I would blame py39-scipy or py39-numpy, but I have no proof).

--->  Computing dependencies for libgcc-devel
Error: Can't install libgcc-devel because conflicting ports are active: libgcc
Error: Problem while installing libgcc-devel

I then forced the deactivation of libgcc:
$ port deactivate libgcc
Password:
Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.
The following ports will break:
 fftw-3 @3.3.10_0
 fftw-3 @3.3.10_0
 py39-scipy @1.7.1_0
 fftw @2.1.5_9
 py39-numpy @1.21.3_0
 gcc11 @11.2.0_1
 netcdf-fortran @4.5.4_0
 OpenBLAS @0.3.20_0
 openmpi-default @4.1.2_0
 openmpi-gcc11 @4.1.2_0
Continue? [y/N]: y
Warning: Deactivate forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating libgcc @5.0_0
--->  Cleaning libgcc

Then the activation of libgcc-devel failed:
--->  Installing libgcc-devel @12-20220320_0+enable_stdlib_flag
--->  Activating libgcc-devel @12-20220320_0+enable_stdlib_flag
Error: Failed to activate libgcc-devel: Image error: /opt/local/include/gcc/c++/algorithm is being used by the active libgcc11 port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate libgcc-devel' to force the activation.
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc-devel/libgcc-devel/main.log for details.
Error: Problem while installing libgcc-devel
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.

Which I again forced
$ sudo port deactivate libgcc11
--->  Deactivating libgcc11 @11.2.0_1
--->  Cleaning libgcc11

Port upgrade outdated then completed without issue. But now I cannot reactivate libgcc
$ sudo port activate libgcc
Password:
--->  Computing dependencies for libgcc
Error: Can't install libgcc because conflicting ports are active: libgcc-devel
Warning: Failed to execute portfile from registry for libgcc @5.0_0
--->  Activating libgcc @5.0_0
Error: port activate failed: Image error: /opt/local/share/doc/libgcc/README is being used by the active libgcc-devel port.  Please deactivate this port first, or use 'port -f activate libgcc' to force the activation.
$ sudo port deactivate libgcc-devel
Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has dependents as it breaks the dependents.
The following ports will break:
 py310-numpy @1.22.3_0
 py310-scipy @1.8.0_0
 py39-numpy @1.22.3_0
 py39-scipy @1.8.0_0
Continue? [y/N]: n
--->  Cleaning libgcc-devel

Unfortunately now jupyter notebooks stopped working (which may or may not be related to the libgcc-devel matter):
      File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/nbconvert/exporters/html.py", line 14, in <module>
        from jinja2 import contextfilter
    ImportError: cannot import name 'contextfilter' from 'jinja2' (/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/python3.9/site-packages/jinja2/__init__.py)

But now my question: How can I get a consistent set of modules and dependencies back? Or is my best bet upgrading to Monterey (currently on Big Sur), when I have to reinstall all modules anyway?

Best,

Peter