zsh problems MacOS High Sierra

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 3 03:46:47 UTC 2022

On May 2, 2022, at 14:04, Sriranga Veeraraghavan wrote:

> Regarding nvim, the reason that zsh can’t find it is probably that the directory /opt/local/bin is not included zsh's PATH environment variable.

Right. The MacPorts installer sets up the PATH for your current shell. If you change shells later, you have to set up the PATH yourself or rerun the installer to do it automatically.

> I am not a zsh user, but I believe that you can probably fix this as follows:
>
> $ /bin/echo 'PATH="$PATH:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin"' >> ~/.zshenv

When the MacPorts installer detects that your shell is zsh, it places such a line in ~/.zprofile. I don't know if there is a significant difference between putting it in ~/.zprofile vs putting it in ~/.zshenv.