Quick Question

chilli.namesake at gmail.com chilli.namesake at gmail.com
Sat May 7 18:24:40 UTC 2022

Sorry I did not address your question. Though I've never tried that method, my understanding is that everything MacPorts is in /opt/local owned by root:wheel and 755, so I have always assumed, for at least a decade now, that what you intend should just work, because I've had those thoughts before as well, I just prefer to watch code build for days rather than copy a folder for a few minutes.

I always backup macports.conf separately, along with .bash_profile (not really part of MacPorts but sourcing it keeps $PATHs how I want them).

Also, for the system proper, I install everything that is not required to be installed in /Applications into ~/Applications, so when migrating I just copy over my user folder and then nearly all my applications are already installed.

Which reminds me, you may have some MacPorts application builds in /Applications/MacPorts