Why would Kreversi want a spell checker?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 03:11:23 UTC 2022

> On 20 Nov 2022, at 9:51 am, Sriranga Veeraraghavan <sriranga at berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I think that you are correct - aspell is a dependency of KDE itself.
>
> Looking at the port info for kreversi, it looks like kreversi depends on kdelibs4, which in turn depends on aspell.

That would definitely be the case.

I used to be a KDE4 Games developer, using Apple MacBook, with MacPorts to get the libraries. They are huge and have a huge chain of dependencies for every KDE app, such as an entire desktop text-indexing system and relational database (which never worked too well, FWICG).

The KDE Core Developers’ solution was to re-design the entire library system as small modules with fewer dependencies. That collection is called KF5 Frameworks. And the desktop indexing (for Linux systems) is now done by KDE’s Baloo application. On Apple, of course, we have Spotlight for that.

A few of us tried, but we never succeeded in porting KF5 Frameworks and Qt5 to MacPorts. So my career as a KDE developer ended there. Also, the KDE4 apps in MacPorts are gradually bit-rotting away with every new Apple release of an O/S.

The KDE games still work for me on Catalina and Intel hardware (MacBook Pro 13 inch 2017), but I can no longer get KMyMoney4 to work properly. Also I have struck a brick wall on my new MacBook Pro 13 inch with Monterrey and the new Apple CPU hardware. I cannot get Qt4 and kdelibs4 to build on that combo.

So be alert but not alarmed, Dave.

Cheers, Ian W.