Permissions issue detected on the tarballs/base file during upgrade to MacPorts 2.8.0

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 25 09:34:06 UTC 2022

On Oct 21, 2022, at 02:54, Olaf Sulla wrote:

> Regarding the default UID and GID:
>
> -	The GID, as you mention, already exists on the system via virtue of a previous install of postgreSQL packages.
>
> -	The UID 500 does not pre-exist.
>
> The latter might be the problem because the parent folder has the permissions of root:wheel. With there being no account with the UID of 500 existing on the system, it is not listed in wheel and so this may cause sudo to fail.

I'm not certain how to respond to this, other than to say that our server configuration has been this way since late 2016 and we have not seen these permissions errors until the release of MacPorts 2.8.0 just now, and then only on Catalina and later, which makes me think they are not connected to the UID/GID.