what does -Wimplicit-function-declaration mean?

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 20:21:47 UTC 2022

On 29/10/2022 13:05, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> During successful reinstall of a number of ports (under Ventura), I see
> message:
>
> Warning: Configuration logfiles contain indications of
> -Wimplicit-function-declaration; check that features were not
> accidentally disabled:
>
> and then a list of what would appear to be cariou variables found in the
> config.log.
>
> What is that all about?

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/WimplicitFunctionDeclaration

You should file tickets about the packages especially if functionality
gets disabled unexpectedly.

The flag is for a compiler like GCC or Clang to warn when a function is
being used from its declaration, usually caused by not including the
correct header. You can call printf() in GCC/Clang without #include-ing
<stdio.h> but this is not standard.

Apple has made implicit declarations as of Xcode 12 Clang to be an
error. So if something were to test for a function without including the
correct header, it could fail and disable functionality. The port might
still build.