SBCL build hangs (seemlingly forever).

joerg van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 10:14:07 UTC 2022

On 08.09.22 11:45, chrischavez at gmx.us wrote:
> On 9/8/22 at 4:09 AM, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>
>> maybe related (but not identical to)
>>
>> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/65340
>>
>> in my case, running with port's -v option I get

>> --->  Building sbcl
>> This is SBCL 1.2.11, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
>> More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.
>>
>> SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
>> It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
>> BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
>> distribution for more information.
>> #-------
>>

>> and that's that. no manifest build failure/error message. just sitting there. CPU goes up to 100%
>> (consumed by SBCL itself) and the build never succeeds (not within >1h, anyway).
>

> I believe this was already reported: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64621

you are right. sorry, that I missed that one... for the record: I followed the recipe outlined there
(modify the Portfile, use CCL for bootstrapping etc.) and it in fact works. also for the record: the
SBCL build still takes non-negligible time and I first suspected it where hanging again. so one has
to be patient for ≈5-10 minutes :).

thanks again for this pointer to https://trac.macports.org/ticket/64621 which in fact helped to
solve the issue for me.