libgcc9 and other ports that will never build on my system

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Mon Sep 12 19:16:43 UTC 2022

You can say

port upgrade outdated and not badport1

or even

port upgrade outdated and not \( badport1 or badport2 \)

although if badport1 (badport2, etc) is depended on by something else being upgraded, it will probably get upgraded too (and fail, I suppose).

You can upgrade a port without upgrading what it depends on with

port -n upgrade outdated and not badport1

but AFAIK, that’s usually NOT recommended except more rarely and specifically than something as broad as port upgrade outdated, to work around a specific problem (for which I gather you should have checked for a ticket and if it didn’t exist already, filed one). Although if dependencies other than badport1 are also included in “outdated", I guess they’ll get updated too, if not necessarily in the ideal order.

although when I say that, I’m kind of saying do what I say and not what I do, because I wing it a bit just to get through the daily update ritual. My usual looks a bit like the line above with the parenthesized list of what not to update, except rather longer.