Big Sur on M1 - bind9 named daemon don't run

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu Sep 22 16:02:35 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-22 at 10:55:06 UTC-0400 (Thu, 22 Sep 2022 15:55:06 +0100)
Mark Lucas <mllists at arc.co.uk>
is rumored to have said:

> Sorry to probably ask the obvious but what command do I use to start
> it manually?

/opt/local/sbin/named -g -u named

That will start named in the foreground of your terminal and force all
logging to the terminal on the 'standard error' file descriptor, so
you'll see anything named emits as an error.

You can add a "-d #' option where '#' is a digit with higher numbers
giving more detail. If running without that option does not give you
anything helpful, start with '-d 1' and if you don't get anything, try 2
then 3 etc. If mem ory serves me, there's a level (4? 5?) where the
volume of output precludes eyeball analysis. You should not need that.

>> On 22 Sep 2022, at 15:27, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 22, 2022, at 8:56 AM, Mark Lucas <mark at arc.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I just updated to bind 9.18.7 (Intel mac mini - macOS 12.6 ) and
>>> despite checking the config was ok, which it was, bind refuses to
>>> start.
>>> Looking at the contents of /opt/local/var/named/ mysteriously most
>>> of the files were now listed as being owned by non existent user
>>> 511.
>>> e.g. -rw-r--r--   1 511    named  -           3.2K  4 Aug  2021

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire