Can I disable progress bars?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Thu Sep 22 21:05:34 UTC 2022

Hi Lukas,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 03:58:08PM +0100, Lukas Oberhuber wrote:
> I’m running macports on a server where the progress bars when building
> from source fill up the output log (new full line for each update). Is
> there a way to silence the progress bar?

The relevant code checks

- whether stdout is a tty
- whether the Tcl term::ansi::send package is available and can be
  loaded (you probably can't mess with this one easily)
- whether port has been invoked with the -q option (for quiet)

There is currently no other way to disable the progress bar, but it
would probably not be very complicated to add one.

The simplest way to disable the progress bar would be piping the output
of the port command somewhere, e.g. using

  port upgrade outdated | cat

This makes stdout a pipe rather than a tty and thus invalidates the
first condition.

HTH,
Clemens