what is the meaning of a note that looks like a rhombus in a contrabass quartet arrangement?

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Tue Apr 18 05:21:26 UTC 2023

> what is the meaning of a note that looks like a rhombus in a
> contrabass quartet arrangement?

I don't know how many people are both on the MacPorts and the LilyPond
mailing list (you sent this e-mail to the wrong one :-), so I'm going
to answer that: These notes are 'flageolet tones', also called
'harmonics', i.e., you only slightly touch the string at the notated
position.

> I don't see anything mentioned in the Notation Reference regarding
> this.

There are index entries for both terms.

    Werner