Verify a file signature

Sriranga Veeraraghavan sriranga at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 19 19:05:59 UTC 2023

Hi Dave,

I think this message means that although the signature appears valid, GnuPG doesn't trust the signature because you have not signed the Tor project's key with your key.

Assuming you have your own key, you should be able to sign the Tor project's key with your key as follows:

gpg --lsign-key E53D989A9E2D47BF

The "E53D989A9E2D47BF" is the short key fingerprint that I found for the Tor project's key.  Once you've signed the key, the warning should go away.

Of course, you should only sign a key if you trust it.  And if you don't want to bother with key signing, you can do what most people probably do and ignore the warning.

Best,

-ranga