Should I install Anaconda (or miniconda) Python?

Tao Zhang tao.zhang at colorado.edu
Sat Apr 29 00:13:51 UTC 2023

Hi, all

   I want to attend a python workshop which requires the installation of
Anaconda Python, see the info. below.

   Since I have already installed python in my Macbook pro through
Macport (see info. below),

   I am asking if I still need to install Anaconda Python?

   Does this Anaconda Python conflict with the installed Macport python?

  Thanks

  Tao

  /Users/tzhang> which python3
/opt/local/bin/python3
/Users/tzhang> python3
Python 3.9.1 (default, Dec  8 2020, 11:52:28)
[Clang 10.0.1 (clang-1001.0.46.4)] on darwin

-----------------------------

commands.
9:00 - 10:00
Office hours by appointment: Python/Anaconda Troubleshooting and Assistance
10:00 - 10:05 (5 min)
Welcome and opening remarks
Topic
Application/Package(s)
10:05 - 10:45
(40 mins)
Topic 1: Getting Started with Python and Jupyter Notebooks
Jupyter Notebook
NumPy
Pandas

Notes:
• This tutorial is hands on, you will need to have Anaconda (or
miniconda) Python installed on your computer prior to the workshop

Install Python via Anaconda
Install the latest version of Anaconda on your local machine for this
tutorial.
Need help installing Anaconda? Video tutorial on YouTube. Note: some of
the packages in the video might not apply to this workshop. Use the list
below.
Additional packages: Install the following extra package for Python by
going to Start  Anaconda3  Anaconda Prompt (PC Users) or the terminal
(Mac/Linux users) and type:
conda install -c conda-forge cartopy
conda install -c conda-forge h5netcdf
conda install -c conda-forge xarray
conda install -c conda-forge s3fs

Check if the install is successful
Launch Jupyter Notebooks from the Anaconda Navigator
• PC Users: Go to Start  Anaconda3  Jupyter Notebook
• Mac/Linux Users: Type Jupyter notebook into the terminal