Install on Ventura 14.2

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Feb 3 02:58:54 UTC 2023

> Putting together a new machine (M2Pro Mini, Ventura 14.2) and have hit a snag installing MacPorts.  I’ve not installed Xcode on any of my systems for a number of years now, I simply install the appropriate CLI package from the Apple site.  In this case, I downloaded and installed v14.2.  I then downloaded the MacPorts install package for Ventura and started it up.  Twenty minutes later I’m still waiting for “Running Package Scripts …” to finish up.
>
> Not being a MacPorts guru of any sort, I’m not sure what I should look at to see what’s up.  One thing I did find is that a file named .base.tar.ZqfTHz is slowly growing larger.  This file is in:
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs
>
> I’m just letting it run for now, but I don’t ever recall this happening in other new installs.  Any ideas?
The installer's postflight script runs 'port selfupdate' in order to
download the ports tree. It's a reasonably big file at just over 100 MB,
so it could take a while depending on network performance between you
and our server. It's also possible that you had to regenerate part of
the PortIndex because the machine that updates it is currently without
power, and that can also be a lengthy operation.

- Josh