the future of port:audacity

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 23:04:05 UTC 2023

Hello,

port:audacity is (apparently) in a state of limbo currently, with a number of build failure reports. It's also outdated.

A few observations:
- the official build still runs on OS X 10.9 and it looks I can get it to build there too
- older OS versions are out of luck, while I think the current Audacity version (3.0.1.x) still supports 10.7 (it builds targeting that OS).
- I'm currently doing test builds against wxWidgets 3.1.3.x, the very latest intermediate version that still supports 10.9 . The current port:wxWidgets-3.2 requires 10.11 and I haven't checked yet if Audacity will build against port:wxWidgets-3.0
- it appears that building the current port:audacity with the embedded special wxWidgets version fails on the latest OSes or ARM hardware.

This raises 2 questions:
- do we introduce an additional legacy port (3.0.1) for older OS users who'd still like to be able to run an Audacity version with the new file format?
- do we drop the wxWidget variants and dependency and just make Audacity build its own fixed & customised version of that middleware?

I don't plan on remaining port maintainer but I do use Audacity and thus have some interest in leaving this port in as best a state as possible.

R.