Vim on Leopard (each OS < 10.6)

Eckard Brauer hangglider at gmx.de
Thu Mar 2 18:05:41 UTC 2023

Am Thu, 2 Mar 2023 08:45:42 +0100
schrieb Julien Salort <listes at salort.eu>:

> > I suspect that installing MacOSX10.6.sdk
> > could solve that - if it installs on 10.5 at all (still runing
> > through the deps, so I can't tell for now). In case it does, it
> > should maybe belong to the dependencies of vim, in case it doesn't,
> > there seems to be no way to install a recent vim version, so is
> > there any previous version one can install?
> I think this is the header file for Grand Central Dispatch which was
> introduced in 10.6.
>
> I don't think it can work on 10.5.

Maybe.

Contained in ports is MacOSX10.6.sdk, what could be installed even on
10.5 machines, as the port shows. Currently, it seems to have some
problem, but I'd rather try to have a deeper view inside.

And even if Vim @9.* can't be installed on MacOSX 10.5, there should be
any installable version available -- or Macports should simply drop any
support for OS < 10.6, as Vim (an editor) seems to be very basic, I use
it for decades now.

So the question remains open: Should MacOSX10.6.sdk properly install
even on 10.5 OS and solve the problem with compiling Vim @9.* or is
there an older, still supported Vim version available?

Best -
Eckard