Is anyone running vsftpd on Monterey

philip.scott@bigpond.com Philip.Scott at bigpond.com
Tue Mar 14 08:57:33 UTC 2023

Hi All,

I recently upgraded to Monterey, reinstalled macports and all of my ports. Now vsftpd fails on connection establishment as follows:

$ telnet localhost 21
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
500 OOPS: setrlimit
Connection closed by foreign host.

According to a page I found on the homebrew site, this happens because Apple has dropped support for the RLIMIT_AS argument to the setrlimit() syscall in Monterey. The homebrew folks have patched the code in syscall.c. So — have any other macports users encountered this? As a bear of very little brain I am loathe to dip my toe into GitHub to add an extra #ifdef - #endif pair around the section of the code that’s causing the error, and I assume (since lots of people are apparently running vsftpd successfully) that there’s a fix somewhere.

Oh, and to answer the obvious question: I have some old kit that only knows how to upload files using FTP. And until now vsftpd has worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance, Phil
Ann & Phil Scott, Myers Flat, Australia    Philip.Scott at bigpond.com
  Obligatory quote: It would be a dull forest if only the best birds sang.