[gvim: vim variant?]

raf macports at raf.org
Sun Mar 26 00:01:40 UTC 2023

On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 12:36:05AM -0400, "Richard L. Hamilton" <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:

> As an aside, perhaps the best example of using X resources to good
> effect to allow a user to adjust a program's behavior and appearance
> might be the xephem program (there's a port for that!), which uses
> Motif, and has GUI settings that effectively change X resources, which
> it can then save for subsequent runs.
>
> Otherwise one would end up editing an .Xdefaults file by hand, putting
> in mysterious incantations mostly by luck, unless one had studied the
> source (or built libXt and libXaw (Athena Widgets) or libXm (Motif)
> with editres support, so one could explore the resources and change
> them on the fly).
>
> Properly compiled and with LD_PRELOAD pointing to the resulting .so
> or .dylib, the following may add editres suport on the fly to a Motif
> program. Last I checked, it worked on Solaris, and I think I've used
> it on macOS, but I haven't tried that in a long time; and right now I
> don't think I have a copy of gvim built to use Motif. (I almost forgot
> I had this, so I'm not particularly prepared to answer questions about
> it.)

Ideally, it shouldn't be too mysterious. I remember seeing
Xresources details in manual entries, but looking at gvim's
manual entry, I don't see any Xresources specifications. :-(
It must be unfashionable.

The editres program seems to be a graphical Xresources editor
that lets you explore the resources of a running program.
But it looks very cumbersome. I'd prefer documentation and
manual editing, but you can't always get what you want. :-)

cheers,
raf