[gvim: vim variant?]

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Mar 26 01:04:58 UTC 2023

raf, the first person to respond, said:
> I use an Athena (or sometimes Motif) gvim that I
> compiled myself for use in full screen X11, and MacVim
> for use in the macOS native desktop.

MacVim is a separate port from vim. MacVim has a native Mac GUI with its own limited settings in the usual preference menu item under the menu bar MacVim menu.

The vim port works both in text mode in Terminal (or iTerm or xterm or similar) AND optionally graphically with one of various X11 based toolkits.

X11 based use of vim is entirely different from a native Mac GUI, and requires an X11 server (Xquartz or the MacPorts xorg-server port, unless you're displaying somewhere other than on a Mac) (as well as various build or runtime prerequisites).

In cases where one works in a mixed environment with other mostly non-Mac systems (like Linux or FreeBSD or whatever), that can be useful because X11 can display an individual app running on another system "back" to your desktop (a bit like that can be done on Windows using RDP with a special setup), from which it can be controlled. Versions of vim that use X11 libraries that use X resources are interesting because X resources are loaded into the X11 server, and do not depend on a shared home directory to access configuration files where the preferences are stored; rather, the application (client) program regardless of whether it is running locally or remotely, can simply query for them.