Wine

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Mon May 1 18:18:21 UTC 2023

Sure, a disposable, isolated environment (esp. one meant for extreme uses, like a Kali Linux VM) is great for suspicious software...or for testing less than robust software with possibly maliciously crafted input. Certainly NOT the example I had in mind, although one might argue that XMP or EXIF (as applicable) library exploits might make my example risky depending on the files being processed.

But by that criteria, anything but (maybe) a binary file editor with no size or content restrictions beyond what the operating system allows could be vulnerable to maliciously crafted input files, which doesn't even count that it just might be possible to construct a file name that is an attack on the OS itself, given complications like UTF-16 normalization, etc.

So IMO the question isn't whether you're running a program (that works fine in its own environment) in yours with a VM vs some less isolating means, but whether you'd want to run the program (or run it on certain input) at all even if it was native, in a valuable environment. I don't know if for example Wine could be modified to incorporate (invisibly to what it ran) additional macOS security features like sandboxing, which would make something run under it not much more dangerous than a native app.

TL/DR: I wouldn't run something that I downloaded and didn't have some confidence in (recommendations from reputable sites, original download site, maybe even signed) regardless of whether it was native, in Wine, or in a VM, unless I was in the business of (properly and carefully) testing software that didn't even meet that minimum standard of trusted-ness.