Time to delete old PostgreSQL from MacPorts?

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Sat Jul 13 21:17:27 UTC 2024

On Sat, Jul 13, 2024 at 1:58 AM Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:

> > On Jul 13, 2024, at 01:46, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 12, 2024, at 4:54 PM, David Gilman <davidgilman1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is there any opposition to dropping all unsupported PostgreSQL
> >> versions from MacPorts? That would be any version of PostgreSQL before
> >> 12. Version 12 runs out of support later this year.
> >
> > I'm strongly in favor of removing versions that are no longer supported upstream.
> >
> > --
> > Daniel J. Luke
> >

> Do any old ports depend on an older version such that they won't work with a version not being considered for removal?

I've found the following so far: TOra (variants), slony1, rb-postgres,
all the qt5*-psql-plugin ports, all the qt4-mac-postgresql*-plugin
ports, postgresql-unaccent, postgis (the v1 port, that is; postgis2
and postgis3 both have new enough variants/subports), pgtcl,
pgpool-II, pgAdmin3, all the libzdb-postgresql* ports, libpqxx26,
iplike, BigSQL, and BiggerSQL.