[OT] bad disk & MacOS reinstall

Riccardo Mottola riccardo.mottola at libero.it
Fri May 17 22:57:18 UTC 2024

Hi,

Horst Simon wrote:
> I had todo a re-install on my 2010 MacBook Pro with High Sierra from
> scratch, my copy of High sierra I had was corrupted and caused my all
> kind of grief. I finally downloaded a new copy on my iMac using the
> command line
Got a new disk.

Using recovery partition I tried to dump/restore the partiton... but
half during the process I got a disk error and the process aborted.
Proof that it is gone.

at the end, I changed hard disk and had to reinstall. Now salvaging data.
I will reinstall MacPorts from scratch. Safer... and also a "test" like
being a new user.

I still am a bit disappointed by SMART.

Does Macports have a tool to get SMART details? On linux  there is one
quite comprehensive!

Riccardo