[OT] bad disk & MacOS reinstall

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sat May 18 02:32:41 UTC 2024

The port smartmontools includes the command line tool. The port gsmartcontrol provides a GUI on top of that, if you want (I've never tried the latter).

It won't work on USB drives without a kernel driver (not available in MacPorts).

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/usb-drive-support <https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx/usb-drive-support> may have links and instructions (that site is for a paid product but the kernel driver is open source). I haven't tried that, and in particular don't have High Sierra to try it on.