Foiled Again

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Oct 2 06:05:49 UTC 2024

On 2/10/2024 15:06, Michael Newman wrote:
> I did my best with the bug report. I had no idea what to put in the
> comments section.

The Description field is for any additional information or analysis that
is not present in the log and too long to put in the Summary. If you
don't have anything to add, it's fine to leave it blank.

> I attached what I hope is a gzip version of the main.log.
>
> I’m a bit gun shy about creating a ticket. Last time it turned out not
> to be a port problem, but something to do with the command line tools; a
> something that I really didn’t understand.
>
> Somehow it seems that tickets should generally be filed by people who
> actually know what they’re doing.

You accurately stated which port was failing to build and attached a
complete log, which is already doing better than quite a few of the
reports we get. :)

Of course we'd prefer if people didn't file duplicate tickets or file
lots of tickets that turn out to be a general problem like the recent
CLTs bug, but genuine bugs going unreported would be a worse outcome.

- Josh