XOrg-server has stopped compensating for the menubar?!

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 22:49:17 UTC 2024

Hello,

I had to force-kill the SysPrefs and force a reboot of my Mac, both over VNC because mouse and keyboard no longer worked. As far as I know, I did quit my X11 session properly.

Now XQuartz has a new quirk: it no longer compensates for the menubar on the main screen (an external screen). I've already tried rebooting once more, moving the menubar to my MBP's own screen and back, set the X server to rooted ("full screen mode") and back. Nothing seems to help.

Looking at the code it seems that this could only happen if XQuartz can no longer determine `aquaMenuBarHeight` correctly somehow. Except that adding some more trace output shows that X11Application.m gets the correct value (22px) from [NSApp mainMenu] and that uses the value too ...

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I'm currently (still) running XQuartz from MacPorts port:xorg-server-devel @1.20.10 - but this particular feature has worked reliably long before that version so it stymies me that it no longer does.

FWIW, native applications still maximise correctly. quartz-wm also does, but I use a "real" X11 window manager (xfwm4)...

I've found a workaround by arranging the MBP's screen just 1 "click" lower that the top of the main screen in the display preferences. The top of that smaller screen is now not perfectly aligned with the bottom of the actual menubar (the screen behaves as if it's actually *lower*) but at least my X windows now maximise properly vertically. I rarely use native windows over 2 displays so losing (clipping) a bit of menubar isn't the biggest of deals. I may take a look at something like github:jakehilborn/displayplacer for that.