Questions on postfix

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Dec 30 03:51:15 UTC 2023

On 2023-12-28 at 10:53:06 UTC-0500 (Thu, 28 Dec 2023 07:53:06 -0800)
Ubence Quevedo (thatrat) <thatrat at gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hi,
>
> I’ve installed postfix and have configured it similarly to how I
> have it configured on some Linux systems using this tutorial
> [https://www.tutorialspoint.com/configure-postfix-with-gmail-on-ubuntu],

That's going to be deeply flawed on macOS. Ubuntu (as a Debian
downstream) does major violence to the Postfix package and a tutorial
won't map directly to macOS.

> and when I install and configure postfix in macOS [and make some
> slight changes because everything is in /opt/local/etc/postfix], mail
> is not sent.

Sent by what means?
On what version of macOS?

> What bothers me most is that I can’t find the log files for the
> macports version of postfix.

It's hard to say where you'll find logs, since you haven't mentioned
your macOS version.

In an older version (10.x, basically,) you will get messages in
/var/log/mail.log unless you've done something odd to /etc/syslog.conf
and/or /etc/ASL.conf. The logging subsystem mostly worked like classical
Unix/Linux syslog.

In modern macOS, Apple wrecked logging worse than Linux did with systemd
and its rate-limiting. Wietse addressed both platforms' problematic
logging by creating a logging subsystem just for Postfix called
postlogd. Use that. Like all of Postfix it is well-documented.

> Can someone point me in the right direction to where I can find them
> to see why my sending mail isn’t working?

The most likely root cause if you are using the standard command line
tools is that you're using the Apple tools that expect to talk to the
standard system Postfix, with sendmail under /usr, the spool in /var,
and config in /etc/postfix. To fix that, you will need to put
/opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin ahead of the system directories in
your PATH environment variable.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org