PostgeSQL problem

Bill Hill mail at wbh.org
Sat Nov 25 11:59:46 UTC 2023

Hi,
I've run a MacPorts update, and now postgres is broken.
I did:
   sudo port selfupdate && sudo port upgrade outdated && sudo port -N reclaim
which upgraded about a dozen ports, the only ones of which I remember were:
   exa, py310-mypy and py311-mypy
Now some years old scripts using psql no longer work.
The command that tripped up:
   psql --host=raidbox.lan sen01 senlog -c "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM weather WHERE dtstamp>(TIMEZONE('utc', NOW())-'1 hour'::INTERVAL)"
The error:
   psql: error: connection to server at "raidbox.lan", port 5432 failed: FATAL:  no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet
   connection to server at "raidbox.lan", port 5432 failed: FATAL:  no PostgreSQL user name specified in startup packet
   psql(31651,0x7ff844dff9c0) malloc: *** error for object 0xab: pointer being freed was not allocated
   psql(31651,0x7ff844dff9c0) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
   Abort trap: 6
I get about the same messages from /opt/local/bin/psql13 and /opt/local/bin/psql15 (15 is active)
It isn't a server problem; I can run the query on the server, and on a linux box, and on a Debian VM under Parallels.
Also, I tried installing the brew version:
   brew install postgresql at 16
And /usr/local/Cellar/postgresql at 16/16.1/bin/psql works.
In addition, /opt/local/bin/pgcli gives:
   Illegal instruction: 4
And qt5-psql-plugin @5.15.11_0+postgresql13 and octave-database don't work either.
How can I find out what's broken, and how can I fix this?
Thanks.
Bill